Friday, October 23, 2009

APE and BEYOND

Rayola



The fine folks over at www.colorinkbook.com have been good to me, so I decided to do this Rayola, (their mascot) for them and I gave it to them at APE.



This was a great APE, and not only because I got to hang out with some great friends. I love "discovering" new stuff, and this year I hit the Jackpot...

Photobucket



First up is LOSE#1 by Michael Deforge...funny, chaotic, & nolstalgic all at the same time, I had never heard of Michael Deforge before coming across this gem at the Sparkplug/Koyama Press booth, but I am now a loyal fan...his Dogs In College is some of the funniest stuff I have read in a while, and his Young Green Lantern is a pitch perfect take on DC's legendary comic character. His work is a cross between Dave Cooper and Ivan Brunetti. I am expecting this talented Canadian to become pretty huge in the near future.




Photobucket


This comic, by Malachi Ward, as well as the mini comic Scout, was also a pleasant surprise, not only for the work itself, but it turns out the artist and I hail from the same small Southern California town! The two books were both a sort of melancholy sci-fi by way of Fantagraphics and the art and story matched perfectly.



I will share some more of finds in future posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment